Variable area ejectors for increasing the compression factor of an RBCC Engine

Jason Etele, J. P. Sislian, Bernard Parent

Research output: Contribution to conferencePaperpeer-review

2 Scopus citations


The present paper details the effects of using exit area constriction on the compression ratio achieved of an axisymmetric ejector incorporating both a central and annular rocket exhaust configuration for use in a Rocket Based Combined Cycle engine. Steady state solutions of the axisymmetric Favre averaged Navier-Stokes equations closed by the Wilcox km turbulence model (including the Wilcox dilatational dissipation correction) are obtained using WARP, a finite difference flow solver using the Yee-Roe flux limiting scheme. It is shown that decreasing the exit area by 25% over the entire length of an ejector can produce an increase of 23% in the compression ratio compared to a constant area ejector under the same operating conditions. Further, it is shown that using a conical/cylindrical configuration can increase the compression ratio by a further 5-7% over the conically constricting configuration resulting in an overall increase of approximately 30 % (for a ratio of air to rocket exhaust massflows of approximately 0.75).

Original languageEnglish (US)
StatePublished - 2004
Externally publishedYes
Event40th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit - Fort Lauderdale, FL, United States
Duration: Jul 11 2004Jul 14 2004


Conference40th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference and Exhibit
Country/TerritoryUnited States
CityFort Lauderdale, FL

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Aerospace Engineering
  • Control and Systems Engineering
  • Electrical and Electronic Engineering


Dive into the research topics of 'Variable area ejectors for increasing the compression factor of an RBCC Engine'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this