Tin-117m(4+)DTPA: Pharmacokinetics and imaging characteristics in patients with metastatic bone pain

Gerbail T. Krishnamurthy, Fayez M. Swailem, Suresh C. Srivastava, Harold L. Atkins, Laura J. Simpson, T. Kent Walsh, Frederick R. Ahmann, George E. Meinken, Jayendra H. Shah

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

49 Scopus citations


Biokinetics and imaging characteristics of 117mSn(4+)DTPA have been studied in patients with metastatic bone pain. Methods: Seventeen patients with bone pain due to metastasis were given three dose levels: 180 μCi/kg (6.66 MBq/kg), 229 μCi/kg (8.47 MBq/kg) and 285 μCi/kg (10.55 MBq/kg) body weight. Periodic blood and daily urine samples were collected for 14 days to measure percent injected activity retained in blood and that excreted in urine. Simultaneous anterior and posterior view whole-body images were obtained under identical scan settings at 1, 3.5 and 24 hr and on Days 3 and 7 and between 4-6 and 8-10 wk postinjection. The total body retention was calculated using the geometric mean counts. Results: After intravenous injection, the total body clearance of 117mSn(4+)DTPA shows two components: a soft-tissue component and a bone component. The soft-tissue component accounts for 22.4% of the dose and consists of four subcomponents with an average biologic clearance half-time of 1.45 days (range 0.1-3.2 days). The bone component accounting for the remaining 77.6% of the dose shows no biologic clearance. A mean 22.4% of the dose is excreted in urine in 14 days; 11.4% within 24 hr. The uptake pattern appears similar to that of 99mTc-MDP. Peak uptake is observed in normal bone by 24 hr and metastatic lesions by 3-7 days. Pain palliation was observed with all three doses levels. Conclusion: Among the four potential bone pain palliation radionuclides, 117mSn(4+)DTPA demonstrates the highest bone uptake and retention. Some biokinetic and radionuclidic features of 117mSn(4+)DTPA are similar to other agents, but many features are different and unique and may make it an ideal bone pain palliation agent. Double-blind comparative studies are needed to determine its exact role in bone pain palliation.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)230-237
Number of pages8
JournalJournal of Nuclear Medicine
Issue number2
StatePublished - Feb 1997


  • bone pain palliation
  • pharmacokinatics
  • tin-117m(4+)DTPA

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Radiology Nuclear Medicine and imaging


Dive into the research topics of 'Tin-117m(4+)DTPA: Pharmacokinetics and imaging characteristics in patients with metastatic bone pain'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this