Proteomic analysis of rat laryngeal muscle following denervation

Zhao Bo Li, Mohamed Lehar, Robin Samlan, Paul Warren Flint

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

27 Scopus citations


Laryngeal muscle atrophy induced by nerve injury is a major factor contributing to the disabling symptoms associated with laryngeal paralysis. Alterations of global proteins in rat laryngeal muscle following denervation were, therefore, studied using proteomic techniques. Twenty-eight adult Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into normal control and denervated groups. The thyroarytenoid (TA) muscle was excised 60 days after right recurrent laryngeal nerve was resected. Protein separation and identification were preformed using 2-DE and MALDI-MS with database search. Forty-four proteins were found to have significant alteration in expression level after denervation. The majority of these proteins (57%), most of them associated with energy metabolism, cellular proliferation and differentiation, signal transduction and stress reaction, were decreased levels of expression in denervated TA muscle. The remaining 43% of the proteins, most of them involved with protein degradation, immunoreactivity, injury repair, contraction, and microtubular formation, were found to have increased levels of expression. The protein modification sites by phosphorylation were detected in 22% of the identified proteins that presented multiple-spot patterns on 2-D gel. Significant changes in protein expression in denervated laryngeal muscle may provide potential therapeutic strategies for the treatment of laryngeal paralysis.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Pages (from-to)4764-4776
Number of pages13
Issue number18
StatePublished - Dec 2005


  • Denervation
  • Laryngeal muscle
  • Muscle atrophy

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Biochemistry
  • Molecular Biology


Dive into the research topics of 'Proteomic analysis of rat laryngeal muscle following denervation'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this