Deep Herschel view of obscured star formation in the Bullet cluster

T. D. Rawle, S. M. Chung, D. Fadda, M. Rex, E. Egami, P. G. Pérez-González, B. Altieri, A. W. Blain, C. R. Bridge, A. K. Fiedler, A. H. Gonzalez, M. J. Pereira, J. Richard, I. Smail, I. Valtchanov, M. Zemcov, P. N. Appleton, J. J. Bock, F. Boone, B. ClementF. Combes, C. D. Dowell, M. Dessauges-Zavadsky, O. Ilbert, R. J. Ivison, M. Jauzac, J. P. Kneib, D. Lutz, R. Pelló, G. H. Rieke, G. Rodighiero, D. Schaerer, G. P. Smith, G. L. Walth, P. Van Der Werf, M. W. Werner

Research output: Contribution to journalArticlepeer-review

27 Scopus citations


We use deep, five band (100-500 μm) data from the Herschel Lensing Survey (HLS) to fully constrain the obscured star formation rate, SFR FIR, of galaxies in the Bullet cluster (z = 0.296), and a smaller background system (z = 0.35) in the same field. Herschel detects 23 Bullet cluster members with a total SFRFIR = 144±14 odot yr -1. On average, the background system contains brighter far-infrared (FIR) galaxies, with ~50% higher SFRFIR (21 galaxies; 207± 9 odotyr-1). SFRs extrapolated from 24 μm flux via recent templates (SFR24 μm) agree well with SFRFIR for ∼60% of the cluster galaxies. In the remaining ∼40%, SFR24 μm underestimates SFRFIR due to a significant excess in observed S 100/S24 (rest frame S75/S18) compared to templates of the same FIR luminosity.

Original languageEnglish (US)
Article numberL14
JournalAstronomy and astrophysics
Issue number2
StatePublished - Jul 16 2010


  • Galaxies: clusters: individual: Bullet cluster
  • Galaxies: star formation
  • Infrared: galaxies
  • Submillimeter: galaxies

ASJC Scopus subject areas

  • Astronomy and Astrophysics
  • Space and Planetary Science


Dive into the research topics of 'Deep Herschel view of obscured star formation in the Bullet cluster'. Together they form a unique fingerprint.

Cite this