We report on the development of a high-power tunable yellow-orange laser. It is based on intracavity frequency doubling of a widely tunable, highly strained InGaAs-GaAs vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting laser operating near 1175 nm. Over 5 W of continuous-wave output power is achieved and is tunable over a 15-nm band centered at 587 nm. This compact low-cost high-power yellow-orange laser provides an innovative alternative for sodium guidestar lasers, medical and communication applications.
- Intracavity frequency doubling
- Optically pumped semiconductor lasers
- Tunable vertical-external-cavity surface-emitting laser (VECSEL)
ASJC Scopus subject areas
- Electronic, Optical and Magnetic Materials
- Atomic and Molecular Physics, and Optics
- Electrical and Electronic Engineering